RE: Altered Tunings

Every instrument has limitations of one form or another.

>>I understand that you have chosen to limit yourself to working
>within the limitations
>>and deficiencies of Richter tuning.  But wasn't that choice based
>more on the
>>widespread availability of Richter tuned harps than on any inherent
>preference you have
>>for Richter tuning over, say, Country tuning or Solo tuning?

This is not true.  I was into altered tuned harps before I knew how
to overblow. Since they were not readily available I made them
myself.

>>And isn't it true that even for a player as skilled as yourself
>there are certain
>>things you will NEVER be able to do on a Richter tuned harp, that
>you might be able to
>>do with an altered tuning?

Yes but you seem to be suggesting that we are comparing apple to
apples.  They are not the same.

Not just different chords and
>double-stops, but the way
>>you approach and embellish certain single notes too?  Even if you
>are fluent as Howard
>>Levy in all 12 positions, each position still has its
>idiosyncrancies -- or, to put it
>>less politely,  "deficiencies" which might be ameliorated on an
>altered tuned harp.
>>You'd probably be trading them for a different set of deficiencies,
>but for a
>>particular song, that altered tuned harp might be the best choice.

I just do what I do and stylisticly the altered tuned harps don't cut
it for my application unless I am using them as a gimic.  I am not
trying to portray an "elitist overblower" attitude.  I don't use
altered tuned harp because everything is more intuitive for me to
play it on my richter tuned harp.  My approach is no different then a
guitarist whom refuses to use a capo.

"Beware of the easy path for it leads to the darkside of the force."
- - Yoda