recording

If you like the sound of the 58 use it and enjoy the results.

The location where you put the mic will give you a very different sound.

The center of the speaker will give you a different sound that at the
edge of the speaker . Since you've your own recording setup, experiment
and then report back on anything that sounds cool. You can also get a
nice tone through guitar amp emulator boxes (SansAmp, POD, Korg AX-X000,
etc....).
For your own sanity, it's good to record the location and angle of the
mic, in case you find the grail. 8) Cheap digital photo or old fashioned
pencil and paper could work for this.

FWIW, I did a session last week at another studio and I didn't like the
high-end mic results and wanted to change the setup, but the client
liked the results so I shut up and went on to the next tune. So it's all
in the ears of the beholder and it's you're ears.

Have fun!

Ned