Re: Top Jazz Harmonica VIDEO !!

On Apr 27, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Robert Paparozzi wrote:

> Ahh....no one has mentioned Videos!!!
>
> Have I got one for y'all,-)))  You get TWO great Jazz players for the
> price of NONE!
>
> That's right, it's free......just click on the link below to Randy
> Singer's web-page, then click on under the pix of  "Randy & Toots". He
> has it in Broadband or Dial up format...

   I thought it was awfully gracious to offer a "dial-up" format (for we
who live in the swamp and have no other option)

>  it' great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

   I second that emotion.

> Seriously, this is a first, I've seen Toots live on several occassions
> and he has NEVER asked another Harmonica player to come up and Jam...

  Well, he DID play with a few others at one of the SPAHs (99), BUT they
came up on their OWN and that's what the deal WAS at the Jazz Cabaret.
So I have to agree.

> .. Some of us got to see him Jam a bit at Chris M's Harmonica Summit
> which was rare enough. But this is at one of Toot's gigs and they
> really are havin' a blast.

  Randy (himself) is a VERY busy little beaver in the famous/infamous
"South Beach" area of Miami Beach. I consider this a "choice" venue. A
programming director from the CBS (or NBC) "Hub" in Miami was over on
"our" side recently and heard our Sunday group. His comment was: "To
hear this kind of stuff in Miami, would require a $15-20 cover".

  It AIN't cheap to go clubbing in Miami Beach, and Randy is playing
some GREAT venues.

>     BTW, if any of you are not familiar with his work, check out his
> site and bio and some samples from his NEW release "Harmonica Dreams"
> it's gorgeous!

  The "Rand" is also a composer. Several original tunes to his credit
(including the haunting "Bells of Venice"). Since I once lived there in
the mid 50s, it brought back fond memories as the flavor of the tune is
authentic Italian, (BTW, Randy is not).

> I met Randy a few years back at a  SPAH convention, thru a mutual
> friend Richard Hunter. Myself and Randy having done extensive Studio
> work, we hit it off and I truly respect his work. He has played &
> toured and recorded with some of the "Heavys" and now Toots...

  Randy is a clean player. Not a lot of "bovine excretia". Flashy when
the need arises, mellow when it's proper. He's like a pair of broken-in
shoes...NO pinching, NO blisters, NO warts, NO