RE: Who's Better Whos Sucks War

<<<<Gang Of  Wind Walkers & Talkers :

Some of these heated battles of who is a legit harmonica player and who
isn't . I see this enter these forums  constantly .

Truth is :

The School of experienced harmonica players who have spent the time and
improved to the point where they know who has taken the time to become a
great master of the Harmonica and who obviously has not .

To you's guys I have to comment this :

There are degrees of accomplishment & sophistication  that brings
enlightenment  and helps you to progress beyond those who are still hard at
it trying to get to where you are .

Something happens along the way to some of these harmonica musicians that
needs to be re-addressed and this is simply put , " You were once an
uniformed beginner and couldn't asses a great harmonica player from a shoe
and that includes me when I first became aware of the harmonica .

Those that fit this description will not like what I just wrote , but the
fact bears  out that some of these types really lay into the beginners for
their likes of certain harmonica players like Bob Dylan , Neil Young
etceteras . You who fall into this category do nothing to improve the the
mind set of these other  " novices " players of harmonica who are not in a
position to make a qualified distinction of why or how these players are not
considered true virtuosos . That being the case , it would be more
constructive to not disrespect those afore mentioned players , by saying
they are this or that in a negative way . I will agree the right to your
opinions and support it but you might consider using a tad more tolerance .
Now , as I see it these harmonica forums are to promote and improve the
player correct . Well friends bashing a persons favorite harmonica player is
not going to get any novice to improve and is truly counter productive .

- - - Seek another manner or approach to express your feelings , do it in a in
more positive manner is my point - - - <snip>

Hurricane Ramon  >>>>>>>>

Hurricane:

If the debate degenerated into a who's-better-who-sucks war I'd jump off
straight away.  I thought we'd got into discussing the influence of various
artists (seems that three in particular have got themselves wedged in the
frame - I have mentioned no names as yet!) on the standing of the harmonica.
  Of course there's a danger in these discussions that we set certain people
up as Aunt Sallys, and maybe they deserve that or they don't, but therein
lies the slippery slope to negativity.  These people are or were mass-market
phenomena, unlike most of the great harp-players who are what they are
because of their harp-playing and who nearly all appeal to a much narrower
audience.  Whether we like it or not the mass-market people are the ones
which give the harmonica its public image.  The public image of the
piano/electric guitar/hammond organ/you name it (well, not kazoo maybe...)
is formed generally by people who are consummate players of the instrument,
not casual picker-uppers.  Is that a worry or not?  For every hundred people
who've heard of Dylan (and I'm not necessarily calling him a casual
picker-upper, though I've heard him called worse) there'll be one who's
heard of Big Walter (a guess).  Maybe it matters a lot less than some of us
think here in the woods where we can't see the trees.  But it seems to me
that this is still a legitimate concern for us to debate on this forum
(whether we've debated it to death is entirely another matter, but in the
very nature of these things issues like this are going to keep coming back,
what with new members coming in all the time and so on) and in any proper
debate there will be positive and negative aspects coming up.  What is
important is that we stay constructive, even if expressing dislike or
disapproval of someone's (and I mean the professionals) harp-playing.   I
think we should feel free to express that dislike and to unashamedly name
names as long as we can back up our opinions with reasonable
statements/examples to refer to.    And I don't mind expressing that opinion
to harp novices either.  Anyone who wants to progress beyond novice-hood is
sooner rather than later, before limiting bad habits set in, going to have
to see that there's more to it than just Dylan's/A.N.Other's/my
harp-playing.  I speak of limiting bad habits from abundant first-hand
experience.  You don't show someone how to drive a car by having them just
motor up and down straight empty roads except at the very start, and then
you quickly have to move on to the twisty back streets.

Steve

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger