Re: Altered Tunings

<quote>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:28:00 -0400
From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Altered Tunings

On Apr 26, 2004, at 7:42 PM, d.m.fairweather wrote:

> Even if you are fluent as Howard
> Levy in all 12 positions,

  I was wondering, If Howard is able to do 12 different numbers in 12
different keys on ONLlY an "A" harp, why does he bother to carry more
than one?...................smo-joe
</quote>

Hi Smo-Joe,
  Despite some of the claims that lead to the "Ode to Joy Summer Challenge"
generously headed by Winslow Yerxa
http://www.geocities.com/odechallenge/

Levy has clearly stated that playing in different keys on the same Richter
diatonic harmonica sounds different as each position has its own
idiosynchrocies and flavours.  This has as many benefits as it has
limitations. Especially when you're talking about the tone of a natural
note, a bend, or an overblow - where notes are in relation to each other
will affect the flow of phrases - as well as available double stops and
chords.

You only have to listen to someone playing in all keys on the same diatonic
harmonica to immediately hear what he's talking about.

Also I don't agree that phrasing is naturally consistant in all keys on solo
chromatic harmonicas - theres only a couple of chromatic harmonica tunings
where it would be truely possible.

- -- G.