Re: Harmonica that ruins a song

One thing I find strange in this discussion, is that people seem to assume
that harmonica can ruin a song because it's badly played. While that's
certainly true, as Alanis Morissette proved internationally (don't knock it,
she still bagged me a couple of students in the days...), harmonica can ruin
a song simply because it's inappropriate, or not played in genre. Despite
the players' aptitudes in absolute terms.

I'm not going to name names, but I've heard many a piece where the harp
player, however good technically, was just out of place in the context of
that particular song. And that's one thing you can't usually say about neil
young or bob dylan : they don't play the harmonica often, but when they do,
its usually appropriate.

And, controversially taking it a step from there, I'm more and more of the
opinion that since harmonica is not as versatile an instrument as say, piano
or guitar, it's also nice in a given set or record to have a couple of songs
sans harmonica. In my gigs (very occasional unfortunately these days), I
always try to have a bunch of numbers where I won't play harp. Either I just
sing or I leave the stage to the other musicians. The audience loves it (I
think).

Less is more may not be just an expression after all...

Ben FELTEN, Editor
www.planetharmonica.com