Re: Harp Wars / Dylan's Harp

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jp Pagan" <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>

> > I have a photo of Dylan on-stage with Muddy Waters
> >at the Bottom Line in NYC, and he is playing blues
> >harp.  Anyone who ever heard him do that knows that
> >he can play.

JP,

     I was at that show, as I recall Portnoy was on Harp Duties and turned
over the harp rig to Bob during the "sit-in".  They ALL sounded terrific,
The opening act had harp player that IMO stole the show, they were called
SKY KING.....that harp player was Peter "Madcat" Ruth,-)))

best,
Rob Paparozzi

PS...I have a Harry Belafonte record with Bob Dylan listed on Harmonica.

A few years ago Judy Collins called me to play on a record of hers, "Judy
Sings Dylan"
I had to play on several cuts, she said to me before we started that she
knew I was a Professional Harp Player and she respected that, however, she
was concerned about really "copping" the Dylan-esque style on songs such as
"Like a Rolling Stone". She was so happy when I did this, that when we got
to the song "Got to Serve Somebody"....she said now you can blow like Paul
Butterfield or better yet, I'd like you to give me YOUR style on this one!

If Dylan had NEVER played harp, then I guess as a 'session' player, I
wouldn't have gotten the call that day, maybe they'd have used an oboe or a
sax or who knows??

 3 harp players in the 60's got my attention and are the reason I'm still
doing it today (in no partcular order) Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Paul
Butterfield....I thank them all.