Re: Goodbye Bob, Hello Woody

>I wondered whether he was something of a prophet without honour in his own
>country, or whether we simply we don't discuss him because his harp-playing
>wasn't of the first water.
>
>Steve Shaw

<<<Guthrie played harmonica and mandolin better than guitar.  There's some
harmonica tunes on his Library of Congress recordings that are surprisingly
good.  He also had a pretty full sound playing in a rack.  He was Bob
Dylan's harmonica inspiration.

Joel Fritz>>>

I treasure those LoC recordings, as well as the Columbia River songs and the
Dustbowl Ballads, among many others.  I always think of his harp as being
far more "integral" to his style than with other singers (such as some
recently mentioned) who use it - hard to dissociate him from his harmonica.

I read somewhere once that he played the harp upside down but have never
been able to back this snippet up.

I have one track of him playing fiddle (it's enough!) so it isn't too
surprising that he also played the mandolin, though I wasn't aware of that.
Do you know of any tracks that feature this?

Steve

- --Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica