Re: OK! OK!  ENOUGH!

Greetings,

One of the biggest challenges to the legitimacy of the harmonica as a
musical instrument is that most everybody can afford to buy one and not
learn how to play it before they "perform".

Let's face it, Any fool with six dollars in their pocket for a cheap harp
and a belly full of booze can be a "star". Those who've played the club
circuit have seen these pathetic creatures in action. Gussing in the wrong
key on every song...Loud and long...It's SO wrong. They sit ther wondering
(usually out loud) why the band doesn't call them up onto the stage so they
can be discovered.

It's all about musicianship. Doesn't matter what instrument. What matters
most is EARS!

I met a former World Champion (who out of kindness, I'll not name publicly)
last year at the National Oldtime Fiddler's Contest. He's a MONSTER player.
Such technique I've never heard in my life. Mind-boggling solo player. A
virtuoso!

He can't get a steady job with a working band and regularly gets asked to
step down from the stage at public jam sessions.

I must stress that this gentleman is not a druggie or a drunk. He's a nice
guy. What he lacks is the ability to listen to what's happening around him
and make a musical contribution to the effort. He is so busy trying to prove
that the harmonica is a legitimate instrument that he overplays continuously
and stomps on every other band member's moment to shine.

This guy, IMHO does lots more damage to our "image" than the alleged
mediocre professional entertainers we've been slamming.

I am of the opinion the the difference between amateur and professional
status as a musician has nothing to do with proficiency. It's whether you do
it for a living or not. The official definition I've seen at competitions is
that a person who derives more than 50% of their income from music
performances and record sales is a professional.

I've noticed that the successful virtuosos among us are also incredible
musicians and entertainers as well.

Be well and practice...
The Harmaniac? Dennis M. Cooper
http://www.crossharp.com