Re: [Harp-L] Re: special 20 pins

On Jul 31, 2004, at 4:47 AM, ludo beckers wrote:

I have no idea. I never noted things as meticulously as smo-joe did in his
reply (or was he pulling my leg?;-))

No, I wasn't. I was cursed with a photographic memory. I just hope that the skull fracture I received in March is going to help me forget some of the crap that's trapped in my head. Seems to be working (so far). I remember every date, every birthday, every ones social security number, but the other day, I forgot my shoe size, so there's still hope.

I got my first harps in 1971, but don't remember what they were. Probably
the cheapo bluesharps.

I should have explained that I didn't want to get my harps in the order that I did. I had to go with what was available at the store at the time. Luckily, The owner persisted in keeping at least one of every key on hand, but sometimes someone would beat me to the key I "preferred" that day. For this reason, I ONCE accepted a Blues Harp (in Bb) instead of a special-20. What a mistake. Another time I accepted a Hi-G Golden Melody. Not sure if Spl-20s even CAME in that key at the time. The GM worked out fine, but now I have a full set of harps from Low F# to Hi G. All but the one are spl-20s and I won't play anything else.

I started playing Sep 51 (age 9). I played diatonic about a month. 3/20/55 (age 12 1/2) I started playing chromatic. I did THAT till I was 16, then quit and went on to other things (clarinet, trumpet, babes, pool, cars). Though I played (sporadically AND rarely) from 1958 till 1983, I didn't do much in those 25 years. Mr. Roger's Neighborhood in 75 and 83, the Ryman in 78, several telethons (Children's Hospt of Pgh, Muscular Distrophy/Jerry Lewis), Sit in with Guy Lombardo in 61, Manhattan Transfer in 88, local commercials & jingles, Pittsburgh Jazz Society. From 83 to 93 I was a little more active and started going to SPAH in 90. From 93-03, I was even MORE active, with the last couple years VERY active. I am now at a point where I may quit again, but that's neither here nor there.

I learned right at the start that unless you learn to fix your own harps, it could cost you a small fortune to play them (especially chromatics). I "used" to work on them, but don't do much anymore. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and I have no longer have the patience. I get violent and throw things across the house. There was a time when you could affix a golf-cart battery to my private regions and wouldn't be able to get me to play any CHROMATIC other than a Hohner. I no longer feel this way and use the Hering product. Sooo, for ME, it's Hering chromatics and Hohner spl-20 diatonics, (exclusively) and I won't change. Been there, tried that, gambled, lost.

While I am fairly sure that the spl-20s changed over around 1983, I am not sure and that's why I placed a question mark (?) after the date. Some of the new old stock (with nails) could have been from EARLIER than 83 and the newer harps I was getting could have quite possibly been earlier than 83 too.

smokey-joe & the cafe s

In fact, there's a lot from that era that slips my memory ;-)

(used-to-be-smokey) Ludo