Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 12, Issue 3

On Aug 2, 2004, at 12:00 AM, BassHarp wrote:

Regarding the "Always In My Heart" film, Smo-Joe is almost never wrong, so Joe, you caught me by surprise with your response on this one.

I know Big Dan, it was MEANT to. I was so sure that you (you "ole" historian, you), would have something good to post on this one.

I was being facetious (and a little catty) when I mentioned the 29.5 seconds and YES, you are right, there is a hell of a lot more than 29.5 seconds, (closer to "minutes"), BUT I would have like to have heard more. As I can recall, it's been many many years since I saw this film, but I seem to remember that the story line was about a businessman who went to jail because his partner messed up and he got the blame.
Sooner or later, all was rectified and they let him out. He gravitated back to his home area (appeared to be the Monterey area), and got a job at/near the cannery. I thought the story moved rather slowly and Huston played the part with little personality, but every now and again a scene would surface which included the cannery workers who (seems like ALL) played harmonica.

I would surmise that they took the "real" 7-8 Harmonica Rascals and inflated their numbers with just about every harmonica player they could find in California (and possibly every person who could HOLD a harmonica and make it LOOK like they were playing). At one point I believe I counted up to 25 of them before the scene cut away to something else.

I (personally) would have liked a LOT more harmonica (IF it could have been worked into the story line...I'm not so sure).

I think you meant to say "29.5 minutes of harmonica", as that would have been a little more accurate, with only a slight exaggeration.

Yeah, big Guy, you are correct (as usual).

This film is second in harmonica time only to "Rascals", starring Jane Withers, and which also includes Harry Feinberg, the only harmonica player of that film still living! However, Jane Withers, bless her heart, is still living here in Los Angeles, and I just met her a year ago.

I wasn't aware that Harry was still with us. My friend Leo Freidman (Bass) passed away a few yrs ago. What a great guy. Speaking of which, I don't care HOW nasty a rep. Borrah had, I would have given given anything to have met him. I was at Radio City Music Hall (1954) and our family was killing time waiting to board the S.S. Constitution to go to Italy. After the Rascals were done performing, I feigned having to go to the bathroom and snuck backstage to meet the Rascals (I was 11). I got to meet Johnny P., but the rest I'm not sure of. Borrah had already left to go eat. I got the impression that they didn't eat together.

Here's a treat for all those attending the SPAH Convention: one of the players in "Always In My Heart" - Ray Tankersley - will be featured this year.

Always a treat to talk to Ray-Ray. Met him through Al Smith. He and Cynthia D-Bacon do some "syrupy-sweet" stuff. Wonderful stuff. Their rendition of Alfie will pull the corpuscles right straight out of your heart.

Don't hesitate to ask him about his experience. As I said, this film is loaded with harmonica.

I have a copy of Little Fugitive. It also has plenty of harp. In fact, it "permeates" the entire film. Now I gotta admit that a lot of it is just Bass runs, glissandos, wafts of tremello, and eerie chord flutters, but all in all, I like it.

smo-joe

Danny