[Harp-L] Re: yet another Juke question (long, but no Le Riff)

Stephen's comments are very insightful and on-target - a great post.

I think it's especially important to note, as Stephen does, that a large part of what made Little Walter great was what was going on around him.  You simply cannot separate LW's harp playing from it's context and still have it make musical sense.  To put it another way, we could spend time learning to perfectly duplicate a passage from a LW song, but unless every other element of the music surrounding it is ALSO exactly duplicated, that passage won't "work" - it *can't* work.  The passage was played the way it was in response to what was around it, and when you change that context, it no longer fits.  This is why I think the answer to the "Was Juke improvised?" question is yes.  LW was constantly changing in response to what was going on around him, and why there are precious few examples of him ever playing the same thing the same way twice.

Something sort of related: I've always felt that Little Walter got a bit of a bad rap for some of his later work not measuring up to his early classic recordings.  No denying that his skills suffered due to his self-destructive lifestyle, BUT...I think a lot of the time he was just playing what worked and what fit in with what was going on around him, the same as he always had.  When he was playing with clumsy or insensitive or drunken or inexperienced backing, *of course* he couldn't recreate his earlier triumphs - those licks didn't fit anymore, and he knew that.  So when he couldn't get gigs that would pay enough for good musicians, he used the second or third tier guys in Chicago, and it was reflected in his playing.  When he went to Europe in '64 and '67, and got uneven (or worse) backing, he adjusted to the occasion - and got his share of bad reviews for it.  But for evidence of him rising to an occasion, listen to the live recordings he did just a month or two before his
 death, with a band that included Eddie Taylor and Louis Myers on guitars, and Sam Lay on drums (released on a bootleg LP some years ago.)  Though he was playing very differently from his 1950s recordings, he was playing his a$$ off, and meshing with the band around him as well as he ever had.  I honestly can't think of any examples of blues harp playing in the 1960s that were any better.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: I don't think LW's genius was so much in the area of technical innovation (amplification, fancy licks, etc.) as it was in the way he thought about and approached MUSIC.

Anyway, once again, great post, Stephen.

Scott