Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] Embossing/burnishing reed slots - was Gapping for Overblows

To expand a litte on Chris' remark:

Embossing is done to narrow the gap between the long edges of the
reed and the closest long edges of the slot, i.e. the sides that are
right next to the reed, where most of the air flow occurs. Draw reeds
are mounted on the outside of the reedplate, so you can emboss those
slots simply by removing the covers of the harp. But blow reeds are
mounted on the inside, so you have to remove the reedplate from the
comb to get at those reeds and their neighboring slot edges.

Embossing the slot edges that lie on the other side of the reedplade
from the reeds has little effect, as there is no close contact
between the reed edge and that side of the slot -it would be like
carrying an umbrella ahead of yourself at arm's length - in the
vicinity but useless.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxx>
wrote:

That would work for the draw reeds only

> [...]

"I assure you sire that I did not play one more or one note less than
absolutely necessary" - Mozart