Re: [Harp-L] re: was Juke, now is groove

----- Original Message -----
From: "HIH Jervis Groeneveld" <harmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Bob Maglinte'" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>;
<rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 3:06 PM
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] re: was Juke, now is groove

It was a message on this harp-list that made me buy a book called "The art
of shuffle". So following the great discussions on Juke and the  importance
of the rhythm section I have this question: is there any instruction
material dealing with GROOVE specifically?
I know, you got to feel it rather than explain it, and groove is everywhere
(not only in shuffle), and yes I do think I feel the groove but still the
question remains: is there any instruction material dealing with GROOVE
specifically? (so although I'm always interested in all your great shares
and views on this concept, the aim of this post is just a simple NO or YES
(with the name of the publication))
Thanks,
keep on groovin'
Jervis Groeneveld
Mijehof 271
1106 HH Amsterdam.
(+31) 20 774 8657 (home)
(+31) 6 4231 3333 (cell)

Hi,
To the best of my knowledge, I really haven't seen very much that
specifically deals with the subject, especially in regards to harmonica, and
even a number of well known music schools don't deal with it as well as they
should, ifd they do at all. The only thing I've seen recently in print have
been basically instructional book/CD sets for drummers that I saw in the
print catologue oriented  towards drummers from
http://www.interstatemusic.com, but hasn't shown up yet on their website,
and these were "It's About Time," which basically is a drummer's
instructional for learning both how to play AND recognize how to play on
top, ahead, as well as behind the beat, and there's another one called "The
Drummer's Guide To Shuffles," which for drummers, is supposed to explain
shuffles from blues, rock, country, and more. A drummer who I frequently
work with is ordering these to check them out, so obviously, I haven't seen
these for myself, but when he does get them, I will look over and evaluate
it to see how well some of the concepts can work for other instruments so
you can recognize it in ways other than how I had to learn that, which was
by having older, more experienced musicians when I was a helluva lot younger
beat that into my head constantly until I knew it inside out in my sleep. I
will keep an eye out for anything that will help explain grooves, but at
this point in time, these are the only things I can recall seeing on the
subject.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA