[Harp-L] More Cheap Gear: was Re: Cheap Microphone

as long as we're talking cheap gear, i had my own little score recently.
i was at a big charity rummage sale they hold twice a year here, and
was vaguely looking for amps.  my 11 year old daughter had recently
gotten an electric guitar and amp for her birthday, and i was a little
jealous.  mind you, i'm a long way from actually needing an amp.
i'm still working on sounding good enough that i'd want to amplify.
but i still thought it'd be cool.

so i asked if they had any amps, and was told there had been two,
but they were already sold.  darn!  but i poked around a little anyway,
just in case something had been overlooked.  that was when i realized
that i'd already walked by, several times, a large karaoke machine.
hmmm...what's a karaoke machine, but an amp, two mics and,
in this case, two cassette decks, all wired together.  so i snagged it.
cost me $10.

got it home, works great.  i won't be using it when i play The Fillmore,
but it's loud enough to irritate the family with.  and i can mess around
with cups, and reverb and the like.  i can even have it play a tape to
jam with, and record my own playing mixed in.  great fun.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.