Re: [Harp-L] re: groove

I have to say that trying to explain something like “groove” leaves me feeling really inarticulate, but here goes. My dos centavos and YMMV etc.

Groove is not exclusive to blues but (as Barbeque Bob points out) can be found in lots of musical styles. You find it in lots of Latin and Caribbean music as well. Styles like Reggae, salsa, cumbia, cha-cha, etc. It's more of a "feel" than anything else. I’ve seen some drum notation that attempts to explain the basic beat of each of these styles but you can only get so close. Part of what makes the groove is that there can be several “voices” (drums, bass, guitar, claves etc) that make up the beat. Every part has a precise window or pocket that makes up the synchronized whole. Kind of like the sound of a Swiss watch (the old fashioned kind with gears and cogs). There’s only so much that the notation can convey about how it’s supposed to sound. The rest is “feel”, and must become part of the sensibility of the players. Just like in blues and some other musical forms, microtonal differences can make or break the feel, it’s the same with rhythm, and micro-beats can make or break a groove. The main thing is that the whole band must feel the groove, and play, as they say, in the pocket. Like Bob say’s, if you’re playing lead you can’t fight the groove. The groove is your friend. Playing the notes on the page without paying homage to the groove will always sound like crap.

Howard Chandler,

Mandeville, LA

rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Here's my new resolution. I'm going to take some of my practice CDs, get a
metronome and listen. I'm going to see where the drummer and the bassist come
in on the beat. Then I'm going to listen to where the harp player comes in on
the drums-not only which beat they start on, but where on the beat-ahead, right
on, or behind.

Also, I'm going to remind myself daily that the beat is not the metronome
clicks, it's the space between the metronome clicks.

Present goal: figure out what they're doing.
Future goal: figure out why they're doing it.

Man, I hate metronomes.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm