[Harp-L] Re: Roland Microcube

> Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 09:26:20 -0400
> From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Harp-L] Roland Microcube
> To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>, Harptalk
> <harptalk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Roalnd has just released a new mini-amp called the
> Micro-cube, retails
> for about $125.  Runs on AC or up to 20 hours on AA
> batteries.  Includes
> delay, reverb, chorus, flange, tremolo, and amp
> modeling for 5 amp
> types, including fender blackface (i.e. twin
> reverb).  5" speaker, 2
> watts output, can be used as the front end to a PA
> or other larger amp
> via built-in line-out.
>
> This thing packs a lot of effects into a $125 box,
> and the reviews I've
> seen in various music mags have been very positive.
> For the price of a
> basic reverb and delay, it seems to pack a lot of
> extras.  Might be
> worth a look for harp players.  As always, try
> before you buy.
>
> regards, Richard Hunter
> http://hunterharp.com

I picked up a Roland Microcube for £70 (pounds) and
have been busking with it a few times now. Not sure
that I'll get close to 20 hours use from the
batteries, but they don't die that quick either. The
two best amp models for harp (to my ears) are the
Black Face (Fender Twin) and Brit Amp (AC30). There's
also a mic input, for Lo-Z mics, I think. Haven't
tried trhat yet. The reverb and delay or OK. I don't
use the other effect. You can use one of two (1/4in
and 1/8in) auxillary inputs to play backing music. You
have to control the volume on the extrernal device.
It's really small and light, which is cool. I play in
a tunnel so it's loud enough. Have yet to play in a
more open environment. The sound is, for the money,
surprisingly good. I think I've made back half the
cost of the thing so far...

Dave Shannon

=====
Dead Cat Bounce