Re: [Harp-L] re: groove

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Tate" <douglas.tate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] re: groove

> At 13:56 09/08/2004, Bob Maglinte wrote:
> >It's MUCH easier to teach people notes to play, but FEEL and GROOVE, is a
> >lot different, and too often many music schools, including many very well
> >known ones, really fall short in this area. Too often, the popular notion
> >that if you can play Jazz or Classical, you can play anything, which
ideally
> >because of their complexities, SHOULD be true, but there are many times
> >where that isn't, and it is NOT saying they're bad musicians, which would
be
> >the quick, knee jerk reaction, but the thing of learning feel and groove
is
> >just an entirely different set of skills. Finding TRULY versatile
musicians
> >that have an understanding of groove and feel so that whatever genre
they're
> >in, having whatever they play sound like they BELONG within the context
of
> >what's going on without question, is much more difficult, and even those
> >versatile types are always going to be better at certain things than
others.

> This the first time I have seen this expressed so well.
> Boiled into a tight nutshell Bob has said
>
> 'ANY music can only be played as inspiring communication if you are into
> the genre with heart and soul'

I definitely agree with you here!!! Technical proficiency is easier to teach
than heart without a doubt.

> It is NOT just a blues thing, or a jazz thing, it works with classical
> musicians too although many don't believe it!  Music is music, and it
> doesn't move you unless the musicians are being musicians and not just
> technical wizards going through the motions...
> I prefer my musicians going through the emotions.

How true!!!!!! Doug, you just got yourself a standing ovation from me on
this one!!!! Too often the technical wizards are always thumbing their noses
at stuff they call "simple" because nothing technically complex is beating
them over the head with a baseball bat swing 200 miles an hour, and what
they nearly ALWAYS miss are the subtle, little things that may often be more
complex than showing people how many chords you can play or how many notes
you can squeeze into it, or whatever, and these "technicians" don't
understand that what they're doing is leaving their audiences with the
impression of being overly technical and devoid of real human emotion, and
they unknowingly are epitomizing the old saying "you talk a helluva lot, but
say so little!"

> Thanks Bob
>

> Douglas T

Sincerely,