[Harp-L] re: Was Juke, became rhythm, now Schneider (sorta long)

Just gotta reply to the post supplied by Stephen Schneider regarding Little
Walter's versions of "Juke" and the wonderment of how it was possibly
approached.  I do believe that Stephen not only hit the nail on the head,
but he drove it deep.  That post was the deepest analysis of what possibly
may have took place in the Chess records studio by anyone, other than those
that were present, that I have ever read.  And it doesn't surprise me.  We
need to draw him out more often.

There are many of you aware of who Stephen Schneider is, but for those that
aren't let me expose him.  He is one of the most knowledgeable humans on all
things harmonica.  Those that have had contact with him already know that.
I met him when he was playing harp with the Benny Valerio blues band out of
Houston back in '97.  Benny played loud--through a Marshall amp, which meant
that Stephen was already dealing with how to work the harmonica against
stage volume.  I really didn't get to know Stephen until I tapped into
Harp-l a year or so later and noticed the real substance of his posts and we
began an e-mail relationship soon after and it help that we lived within an
hour and a half from each other.

Anyway--Stephen and I both became charter members of HOOT (Harmonica
Organization Of Texas)  Houston chapter and he has led us expertly through
seminars on gapping, tuning, embossing, microporing, beeswaxing, high end
blowing, overblowing, blues tunes, rhythmic playing, etc...He amazes those
present at most meetings.  He has brought his custom harps to the meetings
that would rival anything on the market (wish he had time to get jump into
it).  When he picks up a harp, those in attendance marvel at his tone.

By e-mail, he took me through modifications of a Silvertone 1483 amp head
that put it into a tonal realm that rivals many harp specific boutique
packages (I ain't lying).  I had never done more than swap a tube out before
that point, much less pick up a soldering iron.  Together, we turned a
rusted hulk of a p.a. amplifier into a smoking blues harp amp this past
summer.

He has helped me step up my harp playing and tone by pointing out things
that I've needed to work upon.  I haven't queried Harp-l with harp
associated problems, because I have had Stephen's guidance to tap into.
He's been a blessing to know.  Excuse the bandwidth, just wanted those, that
don't know, that when you see a post from Schneider that it will be well
thought out and worth the time to read.  He may threaten me after this
exposure, because he is a humble gentleman--but, hey, we're buds.

See ya--
Ricky Bush