Re: [Harp-L] how to play harp and guitar together

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mullin Yu" <mullin.yu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 12:13 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] how to play harp and guitar together

> hi,
>
> i want to try to play harp and guitar together. can anyone share how to
> practise?
>
> any players suggestion?

You just pulled your thumb out of the proverbial dike to unleash the
torrent.

It would help to know what your level of profieiency is on each instrument
individually.  If you are a beginner on both instruments, than I would
advise you to practice them separately and postpone self accompaniment.
However if you are an intermediate-level or better musician on both
instruments, I have the following advice:

My suggestion is to learn and practice the parts separately on each
instrument.  Then start very slowly (as slowly as 10 notes per minute)
practicing them together. If you have to stop and think before every note,
it is OK.  As you practice it over and over, your performance will gradually
become faster and more fluid. Not only that but your ability to multiplex on
two instruments will gradually improve.  You must be patient, it isn't going
to happen overnight!  When you become discouraged, think of the organist who
plays three separate parts with each hand and his feet!  Harp and guitar is
easier than that.

When the guitar part has single note sequences in addition to chords, I
often memorize the harp part and read the guitar part from sheet music.  I
often memorize the harp part and strum chords from memory like I do when
accompanying myself singing.  If the guitar part is mostly strumming chords,
a chart with the words and the chord names may be sufficient.

If you wish to play chromatic harmonica and accompany yourself on guitar,
then the button presents a mechanical problem.  I invite you to visit my
website  www.hands-free-chromatic.7p.com to learn how to overcome it. You
can learn to play accidentals on the Hands-Freee-Chromatic minutes compared
to the years of practice to learn chromatic bends and overblows on the
diatonic.

There will be a two-hour seminar Aug 23 at the SPAH convention  (Aug 17-23
St Louis MO) devoted entirely to rack playing. If you are interested in rack
playing, it is certain to enlighten and inspire you.

Vern