Re: [Harp-L] xb-40 tune-up

Hi Paul,
  I don't think theres any need to use micropore on an XB-40 with the
exception of making your own valves.

  Nail polish in the corners between the root and base of the squeaking reed
does work for XB-40 reeds - I've done this to a couple of XB-40s myself with
satisfactory results. I applied it to all the reeds.
Whether or not this is neccessary for any given hole on the XB-40 is a
matter of testing to see which reed is squeaking and to fix it.  But the way
I figured it, less time & effort to just do the lot and be done with it.

For reed setup:
  Make sure all the auxilary reeds are flush with the reedplate so they
don't voice on their own.
  Because all but one of the regular reeds are interacting with an auxilary
reed thats a minor 3rd below (ie enabling the reed's pitch to be bent a
wholetone), the way you set up the reeds is a bit different to how you would
for a regular diatonic. In that you want an even gradual gapping with widest
gap for the bass note and slightly more than choked for the top reed.
This is for both the blow and draw reedplates.

Other than that you'll find what you need in the reed adjustment article:
http://tinyurl.com/suit/reedadjustment.html

Take your time, if a note isn't working compare the reeds setup to a nearby
hole that is working, taking the difference in reed size into account adjust
the problematic hole's set up accordingly.  Trial and error is your teacher,
and practice makes perfect.

Cheers,
G.