Re: [Harp-L] Coming to St. Louis? Tues night transportation issues

We (Buckeyes) planned to host SPAH 2002 in Downtown Columbus.
(No, there really aren't any cows roaming and grazing the State House lawn.
:-)

Had a great hotel picked - decent room rate for downtown, $5 bus pass from
airport to downtown good for the week and local trips too. But...
Parking was $17.00 per day!  Seems one company owns and/or manages all
downtown parking spaces - even the hotels. We couldn't see guests who drive
having to pay $85 or more to park. So, we moved to the boonies. This or
similar
could be situations the case with most larger cities. Some even charge you
just
for the privilege of driving into their downtown area.

There are many considerations in choosing a site - local travel is only one
point.
The St. Louis, Westport area is a marvelous location. With many restaurants,
shops, night spots, etc., etc. right next to the hotel. You don't have to
drive or
even cross any streets. I think you will really like it - one of the best
sites I've
ever seen. Hats off to the St. Louis site selection committee!!!

I believe the local committee is checking on transportation possibilities.

Jack Ely,
SPAH VP / convention committee