Re: [Harp-L] Position breakdown

Howard Levy's New Directions for Diatonic Harmonica answers all these questions and more.  Also consider getting some of the Jamie Aebersold series jazz play-alongs.  There's about 100 different Aebersold packages out there for all types of jazz.
Beleive me, I am no expert here--just speaking from limitted experience.

Will

Jonathan Hill <jonathan.f.hill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For most of my harp career, I've been a blues guy through and through.
But the band I'm playing with currently is really stretching me. We do
a kind of jazz/blues in the context of folk pop. So I'm going back
through all my theory books and such trying to figure out the best
positions for tunes and such. As of now, I CAN play overblows but not
in context (though I'm working on it). So I'm fair to competent with
1st through 6th position as well as 11th and can play the root and 5th
of the 7th through the 10th positions, but I don't quite grasp the
best purposes for those positions (1-6, 11). For instance, I just
learned the purpose of a diminished chord which I think would apply to
6th position as a transition from one chord to another. Long story
short, does anyone have a nice chart that shows the positions and what
the best context/chord structures for those positions are? Thanks.

http://www.channelcatsbluesband.20m.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/willvogtman
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=CDB0693830012