[Harp-L] XB-40 for 1st position stuff

Robb Bingham <robbingham@xxxx>
Date:Ê SunÊAugÊ15,Ê2004Ê 4:14 pm
Subject:Ê [Harp-L] Leave the President out of this, please.

Toungblock@xxxx said,

< george bush is an a hole

< And always be.

Can't tell you how much it ruins my day to see stuff
like this [above]. I know it's just someone spouting
off and looking for reactions- - - BUT;

I know [I know] I'm peeing in the wind, and it's just
life-on-the-planet, but I'll continue my little
crusade of countering such BS [not with subjecting you
to MY opinions, but pointing out the oppositions
breech of Harp-l etiquette].

Robb wrote:
"The XB-40 is really great for 1st position stuff [using the C for a C song]! I'd go so far as to say that that will be it's main use among Blues Types. In the past most of my 1st position riffs were a kind of variation on Wilson's ~Humbugging Me~ [Classic Riff: slide from 1b to 4b, 3ddd, 2d, 2dd, 2b, 1b, 4b]. With all the Blowbends available on the XB40 you aren't limited by all the ~bad holes~ and can always blowbend it into something sweet. ... Anybody know what I mean?"

I've been exploring the same thing, expanding first position blues riffs into the middle octave. But I've been doing it on a Marine Band, using 4ob, 5draw, 5ob, 6b, 6ob, 7blow. One way to really learn that middle octave in first position blues, is to play a lick in cross harp, say, using an F harp, then switch to the straight harp (in this case, a C) and try to replicate it using either an XB-40 or a harp set up for overblows.
MN