[Harp-L] Looking for a way to get LOUD?

From time to time a post will hit Harp-L from a player who's tired of
getting buried in the mix and struggling to be heard over the rest of the band. In response, others often advise getting a larger amp (the Harp King, Bassman RI, red-knob The Twin come to mind). After rehearsal last night, I have another suggestion: a small amp lined out to the PA. Now, I know I'm not the first guy to ever come up with this solution, but last night really convinced me. I have a Marble Max (which I've raved about on list before) and last night for the first time I tried it's line-out feature. In the past I had always miked the amp -- this method works, of course, but I've still had sound guys tell me they had a hard time bringing my level in the mains up enough to compete (this is in a BIG band, with 3 or 4 horn players, keys, two geetars, bass and drums). But by running a line out from the Max into the PA, I was able to get crushing volume plus that great tube warmth and grit. I had to be careful not to get too loud, in fact. Basically, I was just using the Max as a pre-amp to feed the PA but also having it function as a small stage monitior. (Incidentally, I've used my Harp Commander through the PA and also was amazed and the punch, clarity and power it affords you.) Let's face it, in almost any setting, the PA is ALWAYS going to be the strongest amp on the stage.
MN