[Harp-L] controlled magnetic mic elements (was Harp-L Digest, Vol 12, Issue 30)

In a message dated 8/22/04 3:29:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, G wrote:

> Shure Brother Controlled Magnetic elements sound great, especially with
> small tube amps. You can easily pick them up second hand from US$10 to US$20

How can ya tell if they are in working condition before ya buy.  I assume any
such elements have never been used in a mic?
  I have a 15 year old Astatic JT-30 mic that never had much volume to it
when plugged into an amp, therefore i hardly ever used it.  Any help in this
dept.?
  Lastly, if i take the JT30 mic apart, how can i tell what kind of element
it is?  If it's a crappy element, maybe i could use a Shure Bros. C M element
in it?
ron