[Harp-L] Blackface Fender Mods

Hi All,
Just a quick report on some work I had done by Don D (longtime list member and member of the Bernadettes band) to my 1964 Concert. Here's the story; I got the amp cheap as it had previously been mucked around with electronically (a hole drilled in the front panel for a master volume, and other things done) and speakers switched to 12s so it was far from stock. Anyway, Don rebuilt the tone stack (more bass on bass knob, and treble knob now acts as a feedback fighter for common troublesome frequencies) and put in a master volume and midrange, a switchable negative feedback loop remover, and brought voltages down with a Weber copper cap. All of this was done without drilling and everything is reversible, a consideration on valuable vintage amps. The result was a much more versatile amp, for sure, and it has some sounds now that I've never gotten out of a blackface, including more of a tweed bassman sound among others that can be dialed in. I used this with the guys I usually play with, and they were pretty impressed. I also loaned this out as the house amp for last weeks' Blues Harmonica Blowout at the Rhythm Room, and got to hear it played by a variety of pretty good players with different mics and styles before going up and using it myself. It filled a medium sized club without mic'ing, with power to spare, and was as loud as the other amp on stage, a 62 Brown Concert owned by the host harpist Bill Tarsha. Lots of raves from the players that used it, and others in the audience.
By having the mod done, I no longer need to use the mic preamp I'd been using previously, which is nice as I like to keep things simple. And the range in tones is something I can spend a lot of time working with for some variety.
Additional plusses: Don knows his stuff. All work was done neatly and professionally. And it took less time for me to send it across the country, get it serviced, and get it back than it might have taken my own amp tech (who is good, but not knowledgeable about harp mods) who might still have it on the bench today. Also, the charges were very fair considering the amount of work done and the results. I'd recommend contacting Don if you're thinking about making your Fender (point-to-point) amp more harp-friendly. His email is
mdestefano@xxxxxxxx and you can tell him I sent you (usual disclaimers: I'm just a happy customer, and maybe a repeat customer some day in the future!).