[Harp-L] XB-Melody at SPAH

<David amazed me by playing along with Butterfield's
version of Born in Chicago on his Bb XB.>

Is this because Born in Chicago is in A and Butter
plays cross on a D?

My real question, however, is this: is anyone playing
Bebop on these harps? When I try to play Bebop, for
instance Ornithology or Moose the Mooche on a
chromatic, I have to sacrifice tone for speed, not
that I'm playing it all that well or anything. Does
the XB-40 respond more quickly to wind than a 64?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Yes I was playing along with Butterfield's original recording of "Born in Chicago" which is in the
key of A, and I was doing it on a Bb XB-Melody.    And it was a lot easier than you'd think.  Just
one of the fortuitous benefits of the XB-Melody tuning.   The feel is a lot like 3rd position on a
Richter tuned harp.

As for playing bebop, I can play along note for note with Annie Ross' vocalese version of "Jackie"
(a bop blues based on Wardell Gray's tenor sax solo), and also with Annie's version of "Moody's
Mood For Love" (based on James Moody's alto sax solo by way of Eddie Jefferson).     I like
learning vocalese versions because they're usually a little bit slower and a little easier for my
ear to make out the individual notes.   Both of those in the key of F. ("Moody's Mood" was
originally in Eb, but Annie Ross sings it in F on the lp "Annie Ross w/Pony Poindexter Live in
Berlin")     On my Bb harp the best keys are F, C, A, G and Bb.   The most difficult keys for me
are E, B, Ab and Db.   Middling keys are Eb and Gb.

I'm not a chromatic player but I don't think the XB responds faster to wind than a chromatic.  It
just gives you more control over the note once its sounded.  Anyway, isn't the button more of a
speed bottleneck on chromatic than reed response time?