[Harp-L] SPAH 2004 (long but could be longer)

Days after returning from SPAH the whole thing is still very much a fuzzy
pleasant blur in my mind but I can say for sure that it was all I expected and
more. The Blow Off in down town St. Louis on Tuesday night kicked things off
spectacularly. Jason Ricci and his band gave us a full shot of high energy harp
driven smokin' grooves followed by several fine guest harp players who were all
in top notch form. The energy level, intensity and soulfulness of those
performances was astonishing and will stay with me for quite a while.

During the rest of the week Jason and many other incredible players were very
accessible and super generous with their time and knowledge. The amazing
amount of diatonic talent from both the pros and attendees came with enough
diversity to turn "conventional thinking" on it's head and back again. The overall
level of playing by the attendees was the best by far of any harp convention
I've been to yet. I was humbled and amazed by what I heard in the hallways and
late night jams. It just goes to show that there are loads of dedicated players
out there who are carrying the banner of this instrument forward with
brilliance and originality for the long haul. It really is a brave new world for the
diatonic (not to slight the chromatic which was also represented in stellar
fashion). We live in a great time for the advancement of our instrument.

It's nearly impossible to go into great detail on the professional
performances during the week, but they were wonderful even with all the stage and sound
problems that seemed to plague almost every set. Madcat and Maruga full of
soulful and eclectic polyrhythms, Dennis Gruenling with his swinging melodic
fluidity, tasteful overblows and tone like a jazz trombone, Michael Peloquin's
cool jazz blues stylings, Steve Guyger's uncompromising hard edged postwar blues
purity -- all standouts in the haze of my memory. As fine as all of the
performers were, I have to site Rob Paparozzi as ~The Man~ when it comes to not just
great playing but savvy stage presence and gracious showmanship. Rob, if you
could put it in a can and sell it you'd be the richest man around.

As always, just hanging out with old and new friends and listening to them
play was for me the highlight of the event. I'm reluctant to mention more names
because of those that I may inadvertently leave out, but I'm gonna do it
anyway. Rob, Rosco, Buzz, George Brooks (jammin like a soul man back in the room on
some Marvin Gaye in like 15th position), the hilarious and multitalented
Jimmy Gordon, Tim Moyer, James Conway, Doug Randal (the best player you've never
heard), Beth "the tone queen" Konen, fjm, Ben Nathanson, Bobbie G. (nice pins,
girl) and too many others all contributed to what added up to be a fantastic
experience. Hearing players like Phil Gazell (wow), Jim Quinlen, Mojo Red,
David Fairweather, Mikael Backman, Ron Shellist and so many others at the jams was
icing on the cake.  And if ever I met a real flesh and blood troubadour, it
would have to be Richard Sleigh. Last but by no means least I would be remiss
if I didn't give props to the man who sits at the eye of the storm, Joe
Filisko. Joe has arguably done more for this instrument than anyone on the planet,
not just by what he's accomplished with his custom work and the guild he's built
around it, but with his incredible ability to draw everyone together in his
teach-ins and bring out the best in everyone who participates, not to mention
his unbelievable playing -- a one man vortex for the diatonic harp.

Five days seemed a bit long at the time but now that it's over and I'm
looking back on it, it wasn't long at all and seems almost like I dreamed it. Thanks
to Doug Tate, Paul Davies, et al. for putting together a great convention.
Here's to spAh with the emphasis on Advancement. Next year it's in KC -- I'm not
sure I'll make it, but as the time draws near I may start leaning in the
other direction.

T. Albanese