Re: [Harp-L] re: butterfield

rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I saw Paul a week before he died. He was playing acoustic. His tone was
terrific.A few harp players can make your hair stand on end. Paul was one of
them. I'd put him right up there with Sonny Terry and James Cotton as a player
with a distinct sound.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm
.

Not to take anything away from Sonny Terry--he was a great player--but distinctive sound isn't something I think of when I think of him. Buddy Moss, for one, sounded very similar. While Moss recorded several years earlier than Terry, he may not have come first. I think it was a Southeastern style.

The odd thing is that Moss also owned the guitar style played by Gary Davis and Blind Boy Fuller. Again he recorded first. A prison term in the mid thirties slowed down his musical career.

--
Hear Barrelhouse Solly--that's me--on the web.
http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly