[Harp-L] Del Junco

RE:
In a message dated 8/30/04 3:46:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Wader wrote:

>.......Del Junco is vaguely interesting but has a paper thin
>voice.

Are you kidding or what? Vaguely interesting? He is one of the deepest
musicians on any instrument, especially harp. Have you caught him live? I
did, At The Savannah in Westlake, Ohio, some months ago. All I can say is
that harp players (including maestro Dave Morrison), guitarists, bassists,
the jaded club owner, serious fans/listeners and myself were absolutely
jaw-dropped by his playing, compositions and interaction with an excellent
band.
Paper-thin voice? Now you are talking to one harp player who takes singing
VERY seriously. I studied classical and jazz vocalizing years ago with some
of the best. I don't claim to BE among the best but my judgement is pretty
refined. IMHO Carlos is one of the better singers on the scene and his voice
has a very decent quality.
I do agree that Butterfield and deLay are absolute top shelf. I LOVE Butter
and had the good fortune to catch him live four times. I have never thought
he had much of a voice, but what he had he used to great effect. (Sadly, it
was shot to hell by the time of the "Rides Again" album.) The more I listen
to his recordings, especially the early ones, the more I hear vocal nuances
from Little Walter. Never have seen deLay live but think his "$14 in the
Bank" is one of the best songs I've ever covered. He IS a powerhouse.

Harmonica Blu
BluXpres@xxxxxxxxxxxxx