RE: [Harp-L] Re: Non-blues diatonic players

By the way, Popper plays frequently in 1st position, live and on record. I heard him live in a performance at the University of Vermont in 1994, and he opened up with a solo in 6th position (A minor on a C harp). When I talked to him after the show, he told me that he never intended to do so, but he picked up the wrong harp and had to play something. It sounded like he knew what he was doing to me. Those on this list who make a point out of bashing Popper at every opportunity might take a moment to ask themselves whether they could put a convincing solo together in 6th position on a moment's notice.>

Hi Richard

Would A minor (=A Aeolian, bends and overblows excepted) on a C harp not be 4th position?

Steve (ducking lest Popper-bashing should turn into Shaw-bashing..)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger