[Harp-L] Rod and The Flyers Live on the Radio tribute show

Last night Rod Piazza and the Flyers played to a packed house at the Saville Theatre on the Campus of San Diego State University. This was broadcast live on the radio as well as on the internet as a tribute to Radio Blues Jockey "T" who celebrated his 25th year broadcasting for KSDS 88.3 FM. "T" is blind and made a jovial reference that Rod's last CD 'Keeping it Real' was on Blind Pig "my favorite label."

I always enjoy Rod and The Mighty Flyers performances. You know that. I usually get wiped out living, breathing and dying on every note. But the mix last night and playing at a softer volume really quieted the many harmonica pundits in attendance. They left the show with their jaws dropped in admiration. One respected player stated, "I never knew he played this good." The critics left their speculation that Rod and the Flyers get by on all flash, fancy clothes, and LOUD VOLUME. I always knew deep in my heart from the first time I heard them years ago what an amazing group of talent, music ability, leadership etc. that could combine precise technique with musicality, passion and the right amount of soulful intensity and dirt. The lower volume allowed me to appreciate the dynamics and nuances  that are always present to a greater degree; a much greater degree.

Rod and the Flyers can do it Real Loud and Real soft. They may not be able to control the mix of clubs but what you always get. Always get is a knock you on your ass dose of music and sophisticated techniques. And the audience always hears a new show from this group. I have seen them many times and they always introduce a new line up of music and include different favorites from past albums and covers from their predecessors with flair and aplomb.

On a personal note, I presented them with the edition of American Harmonica News Magazine with Rod on the cover.I contributed two articles and was happy to get their signatures on my personal copy. I think I will frame it.

Doc

Dennis B Alters, MD

Diplomate, American Board of
Psychiatry and Neurology