RE: [Harp-L] Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

Bill Hines inquired:
> I'm a newbie, and I travel a lot for work, lots of driving. I've seen
> hints on this list and elsewhere on harp discussion areas of practicing
> while driving. So be honest here folks! What's the deal? Wearing a neck
> holder like guitar/harp players do, or steering with the knees? Any
> better/safer way to accomplish this?

Larry Boy's description of his playing with his left hand and driving with
his right sounds like the most sensible approach if you can use that word in
connection with playing while driving.  I'd add that I use the same approach
but restrict my playing to times when there is little to no traffic on the
mountain roads I frequent.  I never try to play in a city or with both
hands, or on a curvy stretch of road.  Even so, I'm still very uncomfortable
doing it, so it isn't often that it happens.  It's not only dangerous, but I
don't feel that it is quality practice time.  Usually, that is.

In spite of my stated discomfort and acknowledged reduction in the quality
of practice time, I admit that one of my greatest practice/exploratory
sessions did, in fact, come while driving.  I had been beating my head
trying to learn to U-block on the insistence of my then teacher.  Just
couldn't seem to get it to work for me, even though I am genetically
gifted--at least so far as the ability to curl my tongue goes.  One time I
was on a lonely stretch of fairly straight road so I decided to have another
try at that durned U-block.  Almost magically in a few minutes I discovered
a cascade of cool things with respect to my newfound embouchure.  It seemed
that anything I tried worked, where none of it ever had before.  Of course,
I had to explore the reason for that incredible productivity.  After giving
it some thought I decided that I had been "trying too hard", concentrating
my every muscle on making that U-block work.  Apparently, the magic happened
because my mind was dedicated to the task of driving to an extent that I
~couldn't~ concentrate that hard playing the harmonica.  I think that forced
my muscle memory to take over from my conscious efforts to control my
embouchure, and suddenly everything started working.  It was one clearly of
my finest learning moments on the harmonica.  As exhilarating as it was, I
also admit that I haven't been able to duplicate that kind of major leap on
my learning curve, whilst driving or otherwise.  :(

One last thing.  This playing while driving discussion crops up on the lists
from time to time.  Someone once pointed out that you should under no
circumstances use a neck rack while driving unless you are willing to "eat"
it if you get into even a small accident.  So far I've not seen a neck-rack
that would fit comfortable inside ~my~ mouth!

Michelle