RE: [Harp-L] Re: Driving While Playing

To make my bias clear, I play while driving. In fact I took up harp to help
fill the time on my twice a day hour commute. I freely accept what follows
could be rationalization rather than reason, but it is my opinion.

I feel the blanket statement that harp playing and driving are mutually
exclusive isn't correct. I will agree that a hand, not a knee belongs on the
steering wheel. But as far as playing itself, that has a lot to do with the
sort of drive. I drive 55 minutes down a single highway. Traffic is light. I
can set the cruise control and only have to brake a few times during the
hour to accommodate traffic. I can't see how holding a harp to my face when
there is no vehicle going my way for a mile forward or back is in any way
the slightest bit dangerous. When I come upon traffic, the harp goes.

Now, if you commute in big city bumper-to-bumper traffic jams, that is
obviously different. Same with city streets, stop signs and stoplights.

In short, I feel that a blanket statement for or against does not make
sense. Whether or not harp playing while driving (or any other activity for
that matter) is safe is dependant upon the individual situation.

Paul