Re: [Harp-L] Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

On Dec 1, 2004, at 12:23 PM, John Dixon wrote:

I play in the car, but mostly noodle around with 1st position stuff
and no hand effects.  I use lip block one handed as opposed to
pucker which I use most of the time.  I guess what I would say is
that I wouldn't "practice" in the car.  Practice to me is too
thought intensive.  I don't think that noodling is any more of a
distraction than talking to a person in the passenger seat.  I do,
however, try to remember anything good that I come up with.  If I
would do one thing different it would be to have some way to record
those cool little things that happen to be flushed out later when I
can "practice".

OK, this happened the other day (so it's fressh). I usually drive, but had occasion to be in the back seat while mama Cass (the LIVE one), was driving my daughter to work. We were on the East side of Fla which is WAY more congested than the West (where WE live). AND people drive too fast. So these two are yacking back and forth and Cass keeps looking over at Kelly. She spent more time looking over than looking ahead. I finally had enough, told the wife to watch the freakin road.
I usually drive with 2/3 of the time ahead and to the sides and 1/3 of the time BACK. I'm never driving in the same 200' (61 metres) that I'm IN. I have already SEEN that space. I'm looking way ahead (brake lights, funny actions from drivers, multiple passengers-multiple distractions, precariously placed cargo, etc.)
As John says, "noodling" isn't that bad. It's safer than opening a stick of gum. If ANYTHING is dangerous, it's heavily tinted windows. With those, you can't see into the vehicles and spot strange goings on ahead of time.

When I lived in western Pa., where the roads are narrow, winding, hilly, and treacherous, I played all the time. In Fla. where the roads are wide, flat, level, good repair, good weather, I NEVER play. The other drivers down here SUCK.

smo-joe