Re: [Harp-L] RE: Driving Blind While & Blowing

The dangers of driving while playing harp are, I feel, overstated when considering others who manage to drive safely while on the phone or with rambunctious kids, etc. Thos who are unsafe are such because they don't put first things first, i.e., safety: no chromatics, no "neck-holders", and no getting too wrapped up in the euphoria of playing!

Just play with one hand while in motion (ok, I use my knee, but I've been doing this a very long time) and when you need to, don't hesitate to put the darn thing down - or just drop it in your lap - e.g., when you need both hands or there's a cop watching. But it's why I now have automatic transmissions. And a couple speeding tickets when I was not watching for cops. It does look suspicious, you know...

-Dave Fertig

At 02:45 PM 11/30/2004, Timm wrote:
Hey,
After so many years of driving with my knees I don't even think about it
anymore. Its just normal to get my harp out and drive. You know you have a
problem when its inconvenient to use you blinkers, but I do & hand signals
too but not as often.
>From the Rapids
Timm
-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Bill Hines
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 3:48 PM
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

I'm a newbie, and I travel a lot for work, lots of driving. I've seen hints on this list and elsewhere on harp discussion areas of practicing while driving. So be honest here folks! What's the deal? Wearing a neck holder like guitar/harp players do, or steering with the knees? Any better/safer way to accomplish this?

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA