[Harp-L] RE: Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

I drive about 100 miles a day. I also don't like to bother anyone, or be bothered while practicing. I practice exclusively in the car. Unlike other instruments, the harmonica takes no sight to play. It's completely by feel and ear, so, if you can focus your eyes, feet and one hand driving, while listening to the radio, then why not play harp? I guess, for me the harmonica is pretty natural, and so is driving. I don't see the distraction. The only drawback is that I tend to shake the harp instead of the head on stage because that's how I practice it. The road at 80 mph looks pretty bad if you shake your head.

 Message: 20
   Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:47:54 -0500
   From: "Bill Hines" <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

I'm a newbie, and I travel a lot for work, lots of driving. I've seen
hints on this list and elsewhere on harp discussion areas of practicing
while driving. So be honest here folks! What's the deal? Wearing a neck
holder like guitar/harp players do, or steering with the knees? Any
better/safer way to accomplish this?

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA