RE: [Harp-L] Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

Steve, apparently this has struck a nerve with you, but I don't
think that any of us are saying that it is "perfectly alright"
to drive with one hand, or with the knees.  I think it's a matter
of "degrees"; seldom are things clearcut black and white.

Do you ever drive just one mile (or K) over the speed limit?  Is that
as wrong as 10 miles over?  Do you ever tell a "white lie" to save
someones feelings?  Is that not still a lie?  Do you ever drive a
vehicle after a couple drinks?  Just because you don't feel impaired,
does that make it okay?  Are you always 100% truthful on your taxes?

The point is that under the right circumstances, it seems a minor
infraction of the law.  How many highway accidents are caused by
someone reaching to try to adjust the radio station?  Or the heater
controls?  Or dropping a cigarette between your legs?  Or drinking
a cup of coffee?  Should all these activities be illegal?  There has
to be a "line" drawn somewhere, and each of us draws it at a
somewhat different place.

Richard J. Smith

You are a bounder and a scoundrel, sir! Of course I do wrong things, but you are just avoiding the issue by telling me to cast out the beam, etc. etc. Your "minor infraction" could just lead to someone's death or maiming. There are certain things in life which are better seen in black and white. And it's not the point, but I do think you should not be smoking while driving. There was a case here several years ago of a fatal accident resulting from the driver dropping his cigarette down his shirt-front. It wasn't himself that he killed, to my recollection. Once, when I was cycling, I was struck in the face by a shower of sparks from a cigarette end thrown from a passing car. And if you are caught drinking coffee whilst driving you should be banned for life. Now come on!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today! http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger