[Harp-L] RE : MUSIC STANDS Was harmonica stands

Uncle Ed Sez:

" The easiest and most cost-effective option is to buy a music stand. Not one of the cheap, shiny folding ones, but one of the black heavy-duty kinds that has a solid sheetmusic rest on it  "

Hurricane Sez :

Way before there were any people who thought of these wild and cool looking stands I have seen so many in this forum tout as the " best  " piece of hardware for your harps , there were cigar boxes I personally modified for my quiver(s) that sat pretty as you please on my black heavy duty music stand I bought at a local music store in 1979 . It looks like a musician is on stage when standing next to it , I like the atmosphere it creates in  it's traditional looks .

The boxes of " Hoya De Nicaragua " cigars are cool and very cheap , they are the easiest ones to convert and look like they were made for diatonic and or chromatic depending on your ingenuity . I still have several nice looking mahogany boxes with my spares in them . I do hard wood carvings on them to dress them out choosing , game birds , Greek tragedy themes ( ain't they the Blues ! ) and/or Native American or African faces too , they look stunnig if I may so so myself .

While on a " working vacation  on Maui Hawaii in 1999, I forgot my harp case  & bullet mic at home and almost lost out on a an important gig because I was harried and didn't realize my kit was on the couch at home till I landed and retrieved my luggage at Kahalui airport on Maui . To my good fortune the last place ( I was desperate , I had searched all over the island with no luck for two days ) I found on Maui ( The Maui Gold Exchange ) had a complete set of harps ( and my fav's most of em :) with a Shure Brother's Green Bullet tucked neatly into a abs Hohner 12 pack diatonic + 1 Chromatic 16 holer case  ( holds my super 64 , can you get any luckier ) all for a song ...and $100.00 heh heh . Now I have the Hohner 12 pack on my black heavy duty sheet music stand , I would still be using my cigar box cases if it was not for the blind luck of it all on Maui . And the mahogany cases take a beating with regular gigging so I  was happy to not trash these hard wood carvings I made on the cigar box lids .

" The Maui Gold Exchange Pawn Shop  , they deserve the plug heh heh :) Remember that if you make a jug head move like I did and it happens your a harp man landing on the island of Maui , state of  Hawaii with no harps and gig waiting . The gig was one for one of my  best football buddies ( God Bless him he just passed away last X-mass) from h.s. ( rivals then grrr ) and teammates in college :) I ended up getting more gigs there from that one gig , one where I ended up after the gig sleeping on the beach with the band in Lanai to be woken up by a small herd of " Axis " deer that wqandered up onto the beach , wow they were so pretty , man o man  I love Maui & all the islands in the Hawaiian chain :)

And as Uncle Ed mentioned with a music stand ( not the cheapie I will also add ), you have plenty of room for your other goodies :) That reminds me I need a drink now ! ! LOL ! Some other person commented  on a cheap keyboard stand being really niceand cool ,  makes super sense to me  .

When I first discovered the dilemma of where to put my harps & stuff in the late 60's on and into the 70's there was a revolution in the air with harmonica players , and now the more things change the more they remain the same it seems as I read everyone's contributions .

What is important with what ever you use ?

Well this :

Make what ever you use look super good ladies & gents , make it look outstanding ( those ready made ones fill the bill to the creatively challenged all thumb types , yeah I'm a thinking about ya'll guys & gals too  ) , remember you not only represent yourself on-stage , but also a community of pro harmonica musicians who have worked hard to look as good as they play in hopes of not only to gain respect ( and some $ ) but furthering the harmonica period as a legitimate serious as a heart attack instrument ( we already know that :) to be placed in it's appropriate respectful position in the  music world .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx