Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bose Personalized Amplification System (PAS)

In a message dated 12/1/2004 4:07:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
larryboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Were you playing with other band members who used "traditional" amps?
Were you playing solo?  Is it powered by the PA amp?  Do you plug into a board
or straight into the PAS? I can see real good use in a solo or duo situation.
I'm curious (skeptical?) about how well it would blend with "traditional"
amps.
All curious/skeptical/interested musicians should listen for themselves. Like
anything else that is new and revolutionary, it will not be for everyone. The
technical support team tells me that out of three calls coming in from
customers who have purchased, two give it rave reviews while the third doesn't like
it. Their take on this is that many are not ready to give up their old ideas
of sound reinforcement and don't understand the new paradigm. You do have to
think "outside the box" and be open to this new experience.

The PAS has 4 inputs (2 of which have bass/mid/treble controls) and built in
power. The basic unit does not include the sub-woofer bass modules. To obtain
the full effect of what this unit can do, at least 1 bass module is needed. I
like to expand my possibilities with plenty of headroom, so I went with 2 bass
modules.

I used it last night with the smooth jazz band "Dr. Otto" - this gig was
bass/drum/keys/trumpet. My keyboards went directly into 2 channels. Bass player
ran a line out of his amp and into a channel w/EQ. The overall effect was
astounding. The keyboards were crystal clear and omnipresent, as was the bass. All
the musicians, as well as the audience, flipped out over the sound. Anywhere
you went in the bar, the sound was exactly the same - no proximity effect in
regards to speaker placement. We play some tight funky grooves as well as soft
ethereal soundscapes. All musicians on the bandstand could clearly hear
everything in the mix equally. It eliminated any thought of needing monitors. What we
heard on the bandstand was exactly what was heard anywhere in the audience.

Next gig I will put the trumpet through as well instead of through the old PA.

Norton Buffalo told me that Steve Miller used it for a smaller venue gig and
loved it.

I haven't yet tried harmonica, but am confident that for my particular
"Iceman" sound, it will be superb. For the fatcrunchybluesharmonicatone, you would
need to mic your bassmanmeteorbluesjunior amplifier and run this through the
PAS, or else experiment with units such as HarpCommander.

It is also very difficult to make feed back. A hand held SM-58 pointed at the
tower of tiny speakers will not feed back until within 2 feet or so. Since
the unit is made to be set up behind all the musicians, there is no reason for a
mic being anywhere near that close to the unit.

So, all you curious and serious musicians, expand your experience and open
your mind and imagination to the possibilities. Check it out for yourselves.

You do get 45 days to road test it. If not completely satisfied, return for a
full refund.

The Iceman

ps - also comes with very cool canvas type bags for transport and, if ordered
before the end of the year, you get a free pair of $149 Bose headphones as
well. (These make great stocking stuffers).