Fwd: [Harp-L] re: chord inversion

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rainbowjimmy@xxxx wrote:

Usually in rock and roll the piano will play a C chord C, G in the
bass and G, C
in the treble range. 3rd inversion is most common for rock and blues
and you'll
note that you get 3rd inversion when you play a G chord second
position.

=============Winslow:

As I pointed out in my original post, there is NO SUCH THING as third
position for a three-note chord. There is:

- Root position (C in the bass of a C-chord),

- First inversion (E in the bass)

- Decond inversion (G in the bass).

After that you can't have a third inversion because you run out of
notes.

Also, I pointed out that any time we're talking about inversions,
we're talking about

--- the BASS NOTE played by a BASS PLAYER.

Anything above the bass note is nothing to do with the inversion, as
that is determined by the bass player.

The bass player lays down the bas note below the chord and that
determines the inversion. It matter not how the chord is voiced above
the bass note.

How the chord is voiced above the bass note is called the chord
voicing. When you're talking about a G chord played on a C harmonica
in second position, you're talking about a voicing.

If by 3rd inversion you really mean second inversion, that seems
unlikely. Are you saying that the most common bass note under a C
chord is G? G is the bass note for second inversion.

If I'm reading you corectly, then I have to disagree. The most common
thing is to play C on the 1 beat, the strongest beat rhythmically. G
may follow on a weaker beat, or the bass line may walk after first
playing the root note on the strongest beat. But that's just follow-
up elaboration after the chord has been established in root position.

Winslow