[Harp-L] RE: Driving While Blind (Blowing)? Or Driving by Braile ?

Steve Shaw sez :

" Your "minor infraction" could just lead to someone's death or maiming. There are certain things in life which are better seen in black and white. "

Anna den Jim Ek sez :

Excerpt

" May I remind you folks that Hohner, Huang, and Hering all make mini 4 hole harps. Grab a piece of lacing get a 4 holer and use the little ring to put on lacing. Tie that around neck with enough length to get to your mouth. "

Hurricane sez :

I was enlightened with his layout of the major differences between US & UK roads , duly noted Steve thanks , it is something I know many Americans do/did not consider , myself included . Your point of view is based on solid facts I know .

When I was going to college one of the part time & summer occupations I had was being an " Intermittant State Park Ranger " ( intermittent = you were part time all year long or took 3 months off if you worked full-time  ) here in southern California at the " Salton Sea State Recreation Area " . My job consisted of many duties ( like sweeping & mopping down the head quarters office at night , really glamorous ) including patrolling 80 plus miles of lonely desert highway ( Highway 111 ) plus the camp area's roads ( 5 individual facilities with lots of patrolling to be done during the " season " and summer is not that time of the year here ) I won't even begin to go into what sobered me up about my driving attitude while executing my duties and then later  as a driver period  , Steve's point of view shows the importance of
seriousness driving under total control at all times .

I'm  no saint , yes I did do it ( but I didn't inhale ) on that long lonely highway with only an occasional tumble weed(s) drifting across my  path from time to time @ 125 F ( 52 C ) and to feel the heat blast upon your skin as you drive at 55 mph ( 88 kph ) under a cloudless sky for hours in a 1965 all wheel drive International Harvester Scout 4 banger , eating sand & dust when there was a sand storm on a biege landscape of with railroads , highway , rock  , clay & sand alternating in your view as you drive and or walk through your days duties during the middle of a hot summer sometime coming upon a coral or rattle snake(s) , scorpions ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ------ Sorry I just scared myself :(

I recall a member of one of the harmonica forums ( lady pilot I do recall ) said she did it as she flew her aircraft . Now that's scary  I have wondered if it was a DC-10 or 747 !

Another observation made was " does one really get any quality practice time ? "

There be a sad truth if your really getting a great practice quality time while driving your automobile , it might also mean that your driving really sucks big time and potentially dangerously too to others you don't even realize you have affected already  .

Personally I never did any real practicing while on the road driving , but ,I am guilty as can be of driving with my arm out the window at 70 to 80 mph ( 112 to 128 kph ) holding a diatonic harmonica one way and then another to get the I & IV chords to play along with a song playing on my cars sound system heh heh , when my kids were little they loved that .

The comment of the 4 holer is cool that was mentioned by Jim Ek .

One of the hottest acts I ever saw was a guy who tap danced and played a harmonica ( really well too ) and faked swallowing a mini 4 holer while doing the first part of his act , only to pop it out to finish an arpeggio ( that the replacement diatonic harmonica ran out of notes on ) in the upper register tap dancing all the while , wow what a great old time act he was .

Sincerely :

HR

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx