Re: [Harp-L] what else do you do?

Actually, this question is nicely provocative, in that it caused me to reflect upon how what I "do" - aside from blowin' harp - interacts with my harp playing.

For the first 17 years of my playing, I was for several years a transient and laborer, hitchhiking, hopping freights and living mostly on the street or otherwise in modest situations, then I went back to school and got a job. For the past 17 years I've been mostly practicing law, spending 99% of my time advocating and litigating civil liberties and civil rights issues, e.g., for workplace equity against discrimination and harassment, and for 1st Amendment and community media access issues. Some of my clients had the blues pretty bad, for the civil arena anyway, which kept me grounded both as to how bad things can be and how lucky I've been. Playing harp helped me in my law practice more than the other way around.

But I'm shuttering my practice for a year or so. To paraphrase Firesign Theater: I'm gonna sell my shoes, climb a tree, and learn how to play the harp. When I'm not driving with a harp in my mouth, a beer in my hand and my knee on the steering wheel...

-Dave Fertig