To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 7:22 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] OB/OD harp setup

I'm somewhat of an OB beginner, and have recently been trying to incorporate more overblowing into my playing. I have done fairly well with the 4 5 and 6 hole overblows, with just a slight modification of the reed gaps. The hole 1 overblow and the 7, 9 and 10 overdraws are a bit more elusive, though. Does anyone have some pointers on setting up harps for the low and high OB/ODs? I mainly play Special 20s. I have read the pointers on tenhole.com and the "myquill" harmonica reference site, but neither really speak to the specifics of setting up the low or high reeds.

Particularly, there are a lot of really high squeaks when I try to overdraw the high notes. When I do get the overdraw, it's very airy and I feel like my head is going to implode. I have read that using wax or nail polish in the corners where the reed connects to the comb helps reduce the squeeks, but I was wondering if there are other things you can do to make the compression better, to help the notes just pop right out.

Also, has anyone written a book of OB/OD exercises/techniques or does anyone know of any such websites?

Harpily,
Vergil