[Harp-L] odd side effect of harp playing

ok, this is gonna sound weird.  but it's for real.
first, some background.  i've played ultimate frisbee
for many years, giving it up only a couple of years ago
(mostly 'cause all my friends had dropped out and
i got tired of chasing high school kids around the field
(i'm 47, and boy, are they *fast*).

but some time ago, i noticed an interesting thing.
during the season, when i was active, my reflexes
got really good, something i'd notice in odd ways.
like i'd open a cabinet and a glass would fall out.
seemingly without conscious thought, i'd reach out
and catch it before it hit the counter.  sometimes
while looking elsewhere, or carrying on a conversation
without missing a beat (the kids think it's freaky).  this
kind of thing happened often enough that i noticed a pattern,
and decided it was a natural consequence of my
actively playing disk. interesting, no big deal.

well, i've not been nearly so physically active for
some time.  but i *have* been playing harp a lot.
i've hit some kind of threshold where i can play well
enough that it's really fun to do so.  so i do so a lot.

and lately i've noticed the same kind of "reflex effect"
that i'd previously had from ultimate (and martial arts,
for that matter).  just now, i opened the freezer door
and a small round carton of ice cream rolled off the
top shelf while i was removing another.  like it was
happening in slow-motion, i watched my other hand
move slightly forward at hip level, as the carton rolled
off the shelf and fell right into it.  it's almost spooky.

it makes sense, in a way.  harp playing certainly involves
timing, and reflex, and fast movements and decision making.

has anyone else noticed anything like this?  or am
i just nuts?

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.