[Harp-L] Re: What else do you do - New here

Hi:  this is my first time  posting.  I'm a woman harmonica player.  Sorry,
can't get used to  calling them "harps" since to me that's something that sits
on the floor with an  Irish lass plunking strings while staring dreamily off
into space.  A  harmonica for me is much more earthy than a "harp" and playing
one is akin to  breathing, though  I'm not sure I do that all that well
either.  I  grew up in Scotland, was handed my first small Hohner at age 4 during
our first  rainy seaside vacation just to keep the brat occupied and astonished
everyone by  playing something recognizable so was hooked from then on.  Being
a  terribly shy and gawky kid, I hid behind my harmonica while playing it for
my  friends.  I entertained at parties and school while growing up.   Stopped
playing years later for no reason I can now think of.   Guess life got in the
way.  Just recently fun an Echo my mother bought  for me in '93 and tried
playing it again.  Suddenly I'm completely into it,  and now want to play jazz,
blues and anything else I can get to come out of  those little holes, lol.  My
problem is that most of what you all are  talking about here is sailing right
over my head and I'm no dimwit.  Just  bought a chromatic which I'm about to
have overhauled.  I  always was  a stickler for getting in every note, and
these two were the harmonicas I owned  growing up.  I don't know all your
techniques, have been playing by ear  most of my life (:))  From the little reading
I've done lately, suppose I'm  using the "pucker" method.  One of your guys told
me about this site, so I  decided to check you out.  You're all absolutely
amazing, but I fear too  advanced for me.  It's also a bit intimidating, given
that you're  mostly the opposite gender.  What I do otherwise is reside in NY
with 14  (yes, strictly indoor) cats and one dog.  I stopped working due to a
bad  back injury which, strangely enough seems to be getting better by the day
lately  - possibly attributable to my harmonica playing?hmm   I read  anything
and everything, play keyboard, write poetry, knit, paint astonishingly
beautiful glass ornaments and sing at the top of my lungs when no one can  hear.
My wish is to eventually be brave enough to actually play for more  than an
audience made up of just my husband, family and or a friend or  two.