Re: [Harp-L] Re: What else do you do - New here

Dear "EGS1217",

Please don't be discouraged by the highly technical stuff raised on this list, I don't get most of it myself, and I've been blowin' "harpmonica" for nearly 35 years (harpmania?)

Folks typically approach harp in a manner very unique to themselves - it is, I think, the most personal, sensual and intimate of musical instruments, short of voice. Thus some strong feelings emerge and by the nature of the instrument harp players are, usually, not shy folks.

So if some here on Harp-L talk about fancy stuff like different tunings and adjusting reeds and overblowing and using tuners to measure the accuracy of their bent notes to get them spot on, it's from a passion for a very simple instrument, it don't mean they ain't also playing with guts and heart, which in the final analysis is my own personal measure of success* on the darned eighteen-dollar toy. *(Not forgetting little things like rhythm, dynamics and harmony, of course!)

There's a feast of info and insights on this list, "Take what you need and leave the rest." Have at it and keep playin'.

Oh, and seriously, try tongue-blocking, it opens up whole new doors in terms of rhythm, chords and effects.

And please go to a local blues or folk jam and embarass yourself, I do whenever I can. It's the best experience to go out and play with other mostly very good musicians (and the occasional plunker) to develop those interactive skills and callouses from messin' up on stage, and learning how to be a productive contributor to spontaneous musical expression.

We all benefit from more women in the mix, as always!

-Dave Fertig