Re: [Harp-L] response to Elizabeth: how to tongue block

Elizabeth,

You're quite welcome. And note, you don't need a whole durned book to learn tongue blocking, a visual demo is best, but I'll try getting you started with a few words. See below.

Oh, and the albums Froggy recommends (he meant "Folkways") are right on, too. Also, the late William Clarke does some monster tongue-block chording, get any or all of his albums.

And as Garry helpfully notes, there are blues jams in your neighborhood, several, I'd bet. I've found them all over the US, and in Europe too. Especially Sunday and Monday evenings at weekend blues venues. Don't be shy, almost all blues players are generous and supportive. Those that aren't generous and supportive are little more than showoff technicians, as far as I'm concerned. (So there!)

For tongue blocking, all you really need to do is:

Put the harp well into your mouth, open your mouth wide enough so you're blowing in (or out) at least four holes (try the low side for starters).

Then simply put your tongue against two holes so that you have air going thru one hole on either side of your tongue, it should be an octave in most positions.

Try moving your tongue left and right, and vary the width of your mouth, or "embouchure" to vary the number and range of notes. Sure it seems awkward at first, but you'll get the hang of it. Also move your tongue on and off the instrument rhythmically, going from open chord to tongue-blocked chord.

Repeat all of the above two thousand times, and presto! Whole new tones and textures!

Just remember, whether you're tongue blocking or not, try to keep your jaw low and loose, your throat fully open, and breathe with the bottom of your gut. And push that air through with steady and solid force, tentative don't get it. But you don't need to bust a gut either.

That's about all I know about harpmonica. Oh, and you need a cool hat!

-Dave