[Harp-L] Harmonica Challenge

Now that about a dozen of you have had a chance to hear my attempt at "Tunisia",  I'd like to make
a few comments of my own.

I started practicing this right after the subject of a challenge was broached on the list.  In
order to play it in the original key of Dm on my Bb XB-Melody,  I had no choice other than to
learn it in "5th position".   The song is basically AABA with a famous "break" after the last "A"
part.   It turned out that the "B" part really laid out nicely on the Bb XB-Melody tuning with
some really sweet double stops.  I'm so used to the bridge of a song being the "tough" part, but
here it was the opposite.  That was really nice for the overall flow of the song.

The A part however presented some real challenges.  The first note is a #1 blow bend!  And the 3rd
note is a #2 blow bend!  Along with the #10 blow bend, those are the most difficult notes on an
XB!   The inertia of those low reeds isn't easy to overcome.  And those low blow bends are easy
prey for valve buzz and other weird artifacts.    Also when Pat Missin tuned my harp, he brought
up the floor on all the bends so they don't have much play underneath them.   That gave them a
tendency to sound sharp in fast passages unless I really concentrated on bending them ALL the way
down to the floor.

I considered just playing the whole song an octave higher.  But that just didn't sound right to my
ears.   Eventually, with lots of practice,  and if the harp was sufficiently warmed up, I was able
to tame those low end blow bends for the most part.   So if you have an XB-40, don't give up on
the low end blow bends.  They can be mastered!

Early in my practice sessions, I found a transcription of "The Famous Alto Break" which Bird
improvised at a ridiculous 180 bpm on a failed outtake and then lamented that he'd "never be able
to make that break again."

Well I didn't quite nail it at 120 bpm, but I came close!   In fact I was amazed at how much
progress I made in just a few weeks of practice.   Give me another 5 years and I'll make it at 180
bpm!

My main goal in entering this Challenge was simply to demonstrate to any remaining unbelievers
that the XB-Melody tuning is not just a gimmick, but a serious tool that deserves consideration by
anyone interested in expanding the horizons of his harmonica playing.    I hope that between my
previous Moody's Mood for Love" example in 2nd position, "Born in Chicago" in 6th position and now
"Night in Tunisia" in 5th position, I've opened enough ears that some of you guys will finally
decide to try it for yourselves. I'm sure that with all the great talent out there in Harp-L land
you guys could make my efforts to date seem like child's play.